Monday, July 12, 2010

Flag Football

I don't know what it is with Alex and football but he has been trying to convince Allie for about 12 years that she wants to play tackle football and since he's had no success with Allie he moved on to Katya. Katya was a little bit more responsive to his suggestion, until she actually saw what tackle football was. And although she was a bit more apprehensive, she still claimed that she wanted to play. Since tackle football is a bit pricey we thought that we would try flag football instead to see if she even liked the game.
Football is sort of a complicated game and for someone that has never watched it - let alone played it - the rules are a bit confusing. The coach learned to just point to the spot that Katya needed to stand and tell her to grab the flag. She did actually carry the ball a couple times which made the sport very entertaining as a spectator! Instead of running forward, she kept just running back and forth from side to side. Since she is a pretty fast runner, this continued for a bit and was quite comical!
I think overall she had fun. She was the only girl on her team and I really only saw two other girls in any of the games so she was definately outnumbered. She didn't seem to mind, though. The large number of boys probably added to why we got my niece Kaylie to come to a couple of games and why Allie didn't complain too much about sitting on the sidelines!
Alex is not so "gung-ho" anymore about her playing tackle football. Although she would be able to play-down on account of her being so small, I can't imagine her out there with all that gear trying to tackle somebody. I am trying to convince her that in the fall she just wants to play soccer again and maybe ice skating. Besides, football in the fall would really suck. They play rain, sun or snow and I've already sat through three or four rainy and/or snowy football games (on account of the crazy weather this year!) and I am not in any hurry to do this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment