Monday, December 28, 2009

Santa Claus


We took the kids to see Santa Claus on December 19th. We figured that we couldn't let Tony go through his first Christmas without seeing him and that it would be fun for Katya to see him too. I haven't quite figured out if Katya believes in Santa or not, as she sometimes says things that make me wonder. She told me that she saw Santa Claus on Christmas Eve at around 1 am. I am not sure if she is doing this in fun or not because I know for a fact that Santa didn't make an appearance until around 3:30 am :)

The line was horribly long. It took about an hour to get to the front and then they make you stand in another line to order pictures. We sent the two girls off with $60 (to supplement the $15 that they each had) to buy a present for Alex and I while we waited. I was a little worried that Katya would decide to not buy a present for Alex, as he had made her mad right before we set her and Allie loose. However, by the time we had seen Santa, Katya had "gotten over it" and she had me go and help pick out a shirt for Alex :)

On a side note: The incident does deserve explanation, as I find it somewhat amusing but at the same time "not so much". Katya has cut her bangs - twice. I was OK with the self-haircut the first time. Her bangs were just slightly below her forehead and they actually did look pretty cute and made her hair look a little less "straggly". The second time, however, she cut them to the middle of her forehead. I cut my hair once. I was five. I had just gotten home from church and for some reason I felt that I needed my bangs to be very short (The ironic thing is, that this also happened right before Christmas and I have the picture with Santa Claus to prove it). Katya is eleven and should really know better. On this particular occasion, Alex told her that if she cut her hair again, he would cut it all off, to which she was mad. I think that I have come to the conclusion that if Katya wants to cut her hair, she has that right. If she wants to look silly, she also has that right. So I have just let the incident go, with the original comment to Katya that I didn't think the barber job looked all the swell, but Alex has made a point to show Katya how only boys have bangs that go the middle of their forehead. I wonder if the point has sank in...

Tony got a little restless in the line. He wanted to practice walking to all the places that you don't want him to go and then when you get up closer to Santa they have all these fun toys to play with. The problem is, that the toys are definately more interesting to an eleven-month-old than a chubby man with white hair (who is he!). Needless to say, Tony's first picture with Santa is not a happy one! Oh well - at least we documented the occasion!

No comments:

Post a Comment