Monday, May 17, 2010

Mom, what's your happy today?

I watched an interview with Michelle Obama a couple of months ago on the Today show and she talked about this conversation starter that their family does at dinner that she calls "Thorns and Roses". Everybody in the family has to tell what their best and worst moment of the day was. I thought it was an awesome idea and tried it a month and a half ago. The first time it was on a day that Katya was mad about something and so it didn't go really well. But since then, it seems to have caught on with Katya. I don't actually usually remember to instigate it at dinner a lot of the time but Katya (depending on her mood) will remember for me. She will say, "Mom, what's your happy today?" I'm always excited to hear what she will say is her "happy today".

The other day at dinner, Katya was trying to tell me a riddle and it was hilarious. I finally had to have Kaylie translate for me, as I was sure that Kaylie had played a big part in putting this riddle in Katya's head in the first place. Here is the riddle - see if you can figure it out:

You are a detective trying to solve a mystery. There is a man that has hung himself in a house. The house is completely empty, except for the man on the rope and a puddle of water under the man. The question is, how did the man manage to hang himself when there was nothing for him to stand on?

1 comment:

  1. I love the rose and thorn idea. I think we might copy you-or the first lady.
    I actually think I know the answer to the riddle, he was standing on a block of ice, as it melted, he was hung?
    How was the birthday party?

    ReplyDelete