I am so tired of Russian TV. I think it is partly that I am just tired of being in this country and hearing a language I don't understand (poor Katya - this is how she is going to feel when we get home!) and it is partly that the shows on TV are really STUPID! In the apartment in Dnipro, we didn't have cable so the TV shows consisted of soap operas, music videos, and these stupid comedy shows that remind me of a "Larry, Moe and Curly" show. Here, at least we have cable and occasionally you can catch old re-runs of "Friends" (with the voices dubbed over in Russian). However, Katya really likes to watch this show that is almost an exact replica of "Married with Children" - she even sings along with the theme song. There is a mom with red hair and big boobs, a daughter with bleach blonde hair, a son, and a dad that sits on the couch a lot. The set even looks like an exact copy of the show in our country. This show is stupid in English and even worse in Russian. I am sad to admit that Katya has basically been watching TV for about two days straight. She woke up this morning and the first thing she wanted to do was watch TV. Then when we got back from souvenir shopping, she went straight for the TV.
I let her watch for a little bit and then made her turn it off. Oh! It was like heaven - it was so quiet, no annoying Russian in the background (granted, Katya was sitting pouting on the couch - but she was at least being quiet too!). I gave Katya some crayons and paper to draw on and she refused to do this and instead wanted to sit there and be mad. I told her it was her choice - she could sit there and be bored or she could draw. She finally drew one picture and then wanted the TV again. I told her no and she played with Tony for a little while and I even got her to read him half of a story from this Russian kids book I bought. Katya helped me make spaghetti for dinner and then she wanted the TV and I told her she could play games on my phone. She did this for a little bit and wanted TV and I was trying to talk to Alex on Skype so I finally told her she could watch TV. So, she is right now sitting there watching "Skooby Doo" (which is much better than "Married with Children"). We are definately going to have to limit her TV viewing when we get home, since I think she would be content with just sitting there and watching TV all day - which is somewhat surprising since they are so active at the orphanage. I am too tired right now, though, to care. I need Alex here so that I can have a break from parenting and let him deal with the kids for a while. I miss you baby! But we are so close to coming home that I can hardly stand it!!!
Oh, hang on. You're almost there. Be sure to let us know when your flight arrives in SLC.
ReplyDeleteI so remember that stupid show. The actor's even have the same mannerisms as the American actors. Alex watched a ton of TV too, but what else is there to do? It will be so much better when you get home, get a routine, have more space, another parent etc!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you got your passport! That is such a relief! You are almost home....hang in there!
We want to come see you at the airport so be sure to post flight info!
Congrats!! You're just a few sleeps away from sleeping in your own bed!
We had thousands of channels and nothing in English or remotely watchable either. But the kids at our orphanage watched a lot of tv. After dinner till bed they watched music videos (they called it karaoke, because they all sang along. there would be 15 kids crammed around one couch in this little nook). But our kids wouldn't watch any tv or movies the first few weeks they were here (probably the English barrier). We were pretty shocked by that and there were times I was wishing they would watch something ; ) Ana finally saw a scooby doo and was hooked... Good luck with your fligh home!!
ReplyDelete