Katya and Kaylie are off reading, or at least they are supposed to be. I actually don't care what they are doing except that they are no longer next to me giggling and being very loud. I have already enforced the after dinner chore of loading the dishwasher, made them practice their multiplication tables (6's and 3's), and now they are supposed to be doing their reading but I just need a break and as long as they are quiet, they can do whatever they want. Sometimes I look at my life and wonder if there is anything I can do to make it less busy. Tonight I actually got to come home from work and not go anywhere. Do you know how nice that is? Tony is asleep and Alex is downstairs playing video games as his form of relaxation and I am upstairs looking at pictures and blogging. Blogging is my break from the world - the time when I get to wish that I had the energy or organization to actually scrapbook but know that at some point down the road I will be glad that I already did all my dreaded "journaling".
We have a break from softball today, as there was no game scheduled. Whew! I am sure tired of that sport and we just started last week! Katya is off track from school in two weeks. I am hoping that in the month she is off track that we can really buckle down and work on her math.
We found a math tutor for her (I think I might have mentioned this in an earlier post) - a darling thirteen year-old girl named Sasha. I had a math curriculum that I bought to use with Allie - back when I had was naive enough to think that we had enough time with her to try teach her all the things that her "homeschooling" mom isn't teaching her - so I had Sasha start at the multiplication of single digits (while we work on her multiplication tables with her at home) and then we will move on to the multi-digit multiplication. Her teacher keeps skipping around in school, trying to teach her fractions and other stuff and it is driving me crazy because on the one hand I feel like I should take it with us to the tutor to have them help her but then I really think she needs to know the basic stuff before she moves on. It is sometimes so overwhelming to think of all the stuff Katya needs to learn. I hope she doesn't feel overwhelmed.
She is actually doing pretty well. We have somewhat settled into a routine (to which the stupid softball has again interrupted), where I have Tuesdays off work, Alex has Wednesdays and Fridays off, my sister-in-law gets Katya to and from school on Mondays, and my mom comes over and stays at our house on Thursdays. I have worked up a chore chart for all of us (including Alex and I) so that Katya (and Kaylie when she is here) has her after dinner chore, has to read and practice her multiplication tables each night, and Alex and I rotate who is on dinner duty vs. homework duty. This way, in theory, we should at least get a couple of nights "off" during the week where we can do something that is relaxing to us. I was starting to feel like my life consisted of running here, there, and I don't want to be the homework nazi every night...
No comments:
Post a Comment