We went to the store today and after buying groceries, I decided we had enough to buy Katya her toy baby doll. When I originally told her we were going to the store, she asked, "Baby?" as in "Are we going to buy my baby?". I told her we were going to the food store and told her we would buy her baby doll "Zafta" (tomorrow). Then, when we stopped at the toy store on the way home from the grocery store, Katya was very excited. We got home, took the doll out of the box, which took about ten minutes, and Katya played with the doll for approximately five minutes and then she was done with it. That is the last time I am buying her any toys for a while! It took longer to get the toy out of the box!
Update: Katya did play with the doll later that day. She made it a bed out of a shoe box and used Tony's "spitup rags" as blankets. She also was pretending to be a baby and wanted my mom and me to hold her and rock her. I had a thought that the reason she might have wanted the doll in the first place is because she saw all the attention that Tony gets from me and was a little bit jealous. I will try to be more conscientious of this and make sure that I give her enough cuddling time, too. It is very hard when I have to lay down with Tony to put him to sleep at night and I think that Katya would like it if I could lay with her. When we get home, this will be easier with Alex around. I am actually glad that she is realizing now that we will have to be devoting time to Tony, too. ft we wouldn't have brought Tony, I think it would have been really hard for her to adjust after being the center-of-attention to realize that she would have to share us with a baby.
Oh, that is so frustrating! Alex did the same thing with Lego's only he couldn't get them together like the example so he threw it down on the ground and said it was crap and never touched them again!
ReplyDeleteI hope you can find things to do for the next week-Kiev is a little better because of the souvenir shopping and you can actually walk to and eat at American restaurants like TGI Fridays! Yum!
Hang in there and best of luck!
W
Today is the day! So happy for you! Um, just kidding, I just remembered it's only Monday...sorry.:( My days are getting so mushed up, I can't keep anything straight. Good luck with everything tomorrow. Hope it all goes quickly for you. I also can't wait to get home. I want to see my boys so bad.
ReplyDeleteI think you're so right about bringing Tony. It would be a big adjustment for Katya later. So, today I think you're running around getting the birth certificate? Hope all your paper work and passport stuff goes smooth and fast!
ReplyDeleteW
I had to laugh about the doll. When we went to the grocery store, we let Yuliya pick out a bunch of stuff that we thought she would enjoy eating when she was with us. In the end, most of it ended up being donated to our translator. The one thing she really liked were those stinky fish snacks that you have a picture of. I am just waiting for one you the families to try one of them and report on how it tasted! :)
ReplyDeleteGood luck. We're a day late, but hope everything is going the way it should.